"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Come, Lord Jesus

When I returned from spending Thanksgiving with family in Birmingham, I knew my feet would hit the floor running.  And, boy, did they ever.  Professional, social and personal duties kept me burning midnight oil and found me spending more time at the piano and musical rehearsals than I have done in a very long time. I try to refrain from using the word "busy" because I often find it carries a weight of self-importance with it.  But I have to admit, my life has been very "active" lately.  While trying to live in the "now" of every moment, I couldn't help but also look to today's date and think, "If I can just make it to then..."  And, obviously, I did.  But smack dab in the middle of all the activity and demands came the season I treasure the most: Advent -- the 4 weeks leading up to Christmas.  A time for waiting.  A time for hope.  

So in the midst of my cell, how appropriate the mantra of Advent: "Come, Lord Jesus."  Maybe you've recognized it in a slightly different fashion: the wistful tune of O come, O come, Emmanuel, and ransom captive Israel...  Or you've sung, Come Thou long-expected Jesus, come to set Thy people free.  It's the cry of the season before we lullaby to Away in a Manger or ring the bells on Christmas day and sing Joy to the world!  The Lord is come! 

Come, Lord Jesus!  An Advent cry that speaks of deliberate emptiness ... a chosen non-fulfillment.  One that says, "I can't do this on my own.  I need help."  But it is just that thought that leads me to live life in expectancy -- in full hope of a future created by God.  To cry "Come, Lord Jesus!" is to live without closure, without demands, with resolutions ... but with arms wide open in absolute surrender and satisfaction.

Are you finding yourself in need this season of your life?  Then sound the cry of Advent -- not so much in desperation, though it may be ... but as a shout of cosmic hope.   Come, Lord Jesus!

Just an ordinary moment...

No comments: