"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Celebrating Cathy

I've known her as long as I can remember: Cathy Cawthon Farabaugh.  And this week she celebrates her birthday.  Therefore, allow me to celebrate her.

We were Childhood friends.  Crib babies.  When I recall memories of growing up, very few of them don't include Cathy.

Birthday parties.

Dance recitals.

Family vacations to Callaway Gardens (then called "Ida Cason").

Yearly Christmas swaps.

4th of July picnics at the Green's pond.  "Lost in Space" in the backyard.  Laughing so hard over silly things that our sides would split.  Sleep overs ... and "Gary Indiana Indiana."

Basketball practices and games.


Boyfriends and double dating.

Church youth trips.


And since our mother's were in the catering business together, more wedding receptions than you could shake a stick at.  Not to mention our own weddings where we each stood in attendance for the other.


Yet somewhere between marriage, relocating and children, our lives became distant.  Sadly so.  We kept more in touch through our parents than any other way, catching up 10 years at the time at class reunions and the occasional phone call.  Why such distance?  We ask ourselves the same question today.  And the only answer seems to be "life happened."   

But a few years ago, my son and daughter-in-love also relocated, and to my great delight, I found it was only a few miles from where Cathy and Dick lived and had raised their two children.  She and I decided the separation had been long enough.  We were Childhood friends due to our parents choosing.  We would be Adult friends by our own.  Like a good marriage, we would make time for each other.  And that's what we strive to do.  When I apologize for calling her at work (she and Dick own their own business), she always tells me she has time for me.  That's what friends do.  They make themselves Available.  And Cathy does that.

And can I also mention that she's much more Adventurous than I?  I ran my first 5K recently.  She jumped out of a plane!  

The BAD thing about growing up so close to another individual is that you know just about everything about that person.  The GOOD thing about growing up so close to another individual is that you know just about everything about that person.  And whether good or bad, you also share a lot of the same insecurities and struggles.  And we do.  Therefore, Cathy is someone I can depend upon ... she is Trustworthy.  She is also Honest with me in the most encouraging ways, very often speaking life and health into my system.  That's what friends do.

Another thing I find so exciting and unique in this newly restored relationship is the way God seems to be Hatching each of us at the same time -- and right on time.  Creating new creatures of us both.  Doing away with a lot of the old and bringing in much that is new.  Maybe the readers of this post can't understand that, but we know.  

Yet one of the things I celebrate most about Cathy this day is the deep Yearning I witness in her -- not only for the things OF God but for God Himself.  Like a magnet, He is drawing her and she is Yielding herself to His pull.  She is saying YES!  Surrendering to the Spirit's work in her life.

So I bless you today, my literally "longest" friend, in the mighty name of the One who completes this cord of three -- a cord that will not be easily broken for it is His work that has done this for us.  Know that the flame that burns so brightly in you kindles the flame in me.  You are indeed a word that God has spoken into my world.  A beautiful, gracious, endearing word ... and I love and celebrate you today.


Happy birthday, my dear CATHY.  The best is yet to be...


No comments: