"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas Stress ... And a Little Peace

While finishing up the Christmas shopping this weekend for the kids, my husband and I stopped at a sandwich shop for lunch.  I placed my order: chili (with provolone cheese) and a drink.  And then I remembered.  "No, make that a water, please."  You see, I had been there before and suddenly I remembered the dreaded drink machine. 

Have you encountered it yet?  It boasts 120+ drinks out of one stinking machine!  Here are the choices that greet you when you walk up.

The customer presses one button and then another screen pops up giving him/her even more choices within the selection already made.  Christmas shopping and traffic can be stressful enough.  No need to add to that situation, and so I just ordered water.  The only problem is that the 120+ includes water (see bottom right corner) ... AND the ice, should you like your drink on the rocks.

So this is what happened.


I got stuck behind a guy who was going through his decision making process.  He AND the girl ahead of him were novices, no doubt.  Or just very careful not to make any rash decisions.  And, no, I did NOT strike up any conversation nor did I ask if I could take his picture.  But, Lord, have mercy, I could have made a short movie complete with soundtrack for the time it took.  And all I wanted was water!

Maybe I'm being a little melodramatic here.  But consider the fact that I did have time to think about it, formulate a blog, get out my phone, and take several pictures.  Of course, when I looked over at my husband who was still seated at the table, he had his head cocked with that look on his face that said: "WHAT are you doing?"  I was waiting to get my water, for crying out loud!

Why is it we tend to think more is better?  I don't know about you, but I'm starting to see a strong correlation between "more" and "anxiety."  We add more and more things thinking they will make life easier ... give us more time.  Make life better.  And before we know it, not only has "busy" become our status symbol, but we have become captives of our own choices ... all the time grasping for more and more time.

As I've reflected on this over the last couple of days, one thought and image has returned again and again.  And it's really quite simple.   But the angel said to them,... "You will find a BABY..." (Luke 2:10,12).  In a day of such complexity and confusion ... and "more", that truly is some good news. 

"Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth 
PEACE..." 
Luke 2:14.

Just an ordinary moment...



No comments: