"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Checking In

My nephew turned 16 last month and is now the proud owner of a legitimate driver's license.  What a milestone in a young boy's life.  


But, boy, do I ever remember the scariness of that season when my own children began taking off by themselves -- or with a sibling with them.  Which is exactly why I asked him when he walked through the door last week, "Have you texted your mother to let her know you're here?"  He bowed his head in embarrassment and said, "Yes, ma'am, I'm doing that now."  (Like I wouldn't have called her if he hadn't shown up...)

You've got to admit, it's pretty humiliating when you've just received such "freedom" to have to let mama  know when you get somewhere.  But it could be worse.  When my husband turned 16 and went to see his girlfriend who practically lived down the street, not only did his mother stand at the end of the driveway and watch him almost the entire way there, but when he got to the girl's house, he had to go inside and ask to use the phone so he could call her and tell her he had made it.  Yes.  Texting and driving is dangerous.  But once you get there, it can save a lot of face.

So it's probably no surprise that when my nephew was leaving, I asked, "Do you need to text your mother and tell her you're on the way home?"  

"Yes, ma'am," he said, and began typing.  "But I don't know why.  They made me get the "find my phone" app so she can tell where I am at all times just by looking."  I chuckled.  Technology.  It's a wonderful thing!

I'm reminded of what King David wrote:

You have searched me, Lord,
and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
You perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
You are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue,
You, Lord, know it completely.
Psalm 139:1-4

But it sure does delight Him when we check in.

I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised (2 Sam. 22:4).

Just an ordinary moment....


1 comment:

Christi Sheridan said...

I am NOT looking forward to Emi turning 16. She keeps reminding me on a weekly basis that she will be 15 in July and can then test for her learner's permit. Where did my chubby little baby go????