"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Monday, January 28, 2013

Dink You

I just got back from a weekend of keeping one precious little man.  I can hardly believe he's almost 2 years old.  Time doesn't slow down for the grandbabies anymore than it did for my own children.  I told his mom what my own mother told me: Enjoy this time.  In a blink of an eye, he'll be grown.  And he will.  

One thing for sure, his little personality continues to develop more and more every time I see him, with his vernacular expanding at an exponential rate as well.  He still has long conversations with me that sound Portuguese.  Usually it's something very funny, because when he's through, he'll just laugh and laugh.  And so will I.  Yet more and more words are becoming decipherable.  But two in particular.  He has learned the word "please" ... or "pease."  His mother and I laughed at how he thinks he can get anything he wants just by saying that little word.  And she's mostly right....  But, gratefully, he's added yet another phrase to his vocabulary that somehow completes the first.  "Dink you."  I give him one of G-Nan's cheese straws: "dink you."  Give him his cup: "dink you."  Set him down from his high chair: "dink you."  Even when my husband strapped him into the car seat and threw his jacket over him to give him a little extra warmth due to Saturday's cold weather, he looked at his Geezer and said, "dink you."  

Oh, sweet child, may "dink you" become the habit of your life ... one that you never outgrow.

And may thankfulness become the practice and conformity of my own existence as well.

Be cheerful no matter what; 
pray all the time; 
thank God no matter what happens.  
This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live.
1 Thessalonians 5:16

Just an ordinary moment...

No comments: