"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Friday, January 18, 2013

Come and See

To say that I am moderately challenged by the latest technological advances is to be gracious indeed.  I can do what I can do and that is about it.  Especially when it comes to cell phones.  What used to be a device that was used for nothing but talking to another person (in your own town, mind you), has now become a tool to access the whole world.  And so when I woke up recently and discovered my "life line" was not responding, I did the only thing I knew to do:  I got in the car and headed 12 miles up the road to the hospital phone store.

Fortunately, I was early enough that I didn't have to wait, which was a good thing, because I spent the next 4 hours of my day there being helped by an incredibly patient young man.  We found out that indeed my phone had seen its last day having passed quietly in the night, and with no time to mourn, the tech proceeded to ask me the only question worth asking:  "What are you looking for?"

Quite frankly, I wasn't sure.  Should I go with another Android?  After all, it's what I had been using for several years now and really all I knew.  Seeing my confusion, the tech said, "Come and let me show you what I've got."  And so I followed, and for the next 30 minutes, we cased the walls and he showed me all he had to offer.  Certainly, most of it was more than my little brain could comprehend.  But after many questions and much thought, I finally settled on the phone that I thought would suit me best.

You know, there was Another who said, "What are you looking for?"  Strangely, not until I began looking for this particular verse did I realize these were the very first words John records Jesus as saying.  "What are you looking for?"  It was not a harsh reproof as He turned and saw John the Baptist's disciples following Him.  It was an invitation to their desires -- to state their wishes, to express their feelings, to lay open their minds and hearts to Him.

Yes, He turned toward the disciples at their first inclination to follow Him and sincerely asked, "What are you looking for?"  No doubt, He poses the same query to us: what is it you are looking for?  Why not take some time to answer with what is deep in your heart, with what is weighing on your mind, with what is turning in your spirit, and then listen for the same invitation He gave to John and Andrew that particular morning: "Come and see."  

And when we do respond, the truth is it's probably more than our little brains can comprehend.

When Jesus turned and saw them following, He said to them, "What are you looking for?' They said to him, "Rabbi" (which translated means Teacher), "where are You staying?"  He said to them, 
"Come and see"....
John 1:38-39


Just an ordinary moment...

No comments: