"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Take Out the Trash

As I was on the way to church this morning, an SUV pulled out in front of me and I noticed something odd on the driver’s side.  At first, I thought it might be clothing caught in the door, but I realized it was way too big for that.  As I got closer, it came into view: a large white trash bag obviously filled with household garbage hanging by its ties on the left rearview mirror.  The driver must have realized it about the time I did, because he quickly pulled off the road, whipped the car around and headed back home.  I couldn’t help but laugh out loud.

Oh, but Lord, have mercy, how many times I have done the exact same thing?  Just carrying my trash wherever I go; putting it out there for the world to see – and defiling up their space in the meantime.  Whether my household garbage is labeled attitude, prejudice, or apathy; vulgarity, grumbling or whining; anxiety, fear, or despair: the truth is trash is trash.  It stinks.  It’s unsightly.  And it needs to be disposed of properly.

Let me tell you why you are here.
You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth.
If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness?
You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.
Matthew 5:13 (The Message)

 Just an ordinary moment…

No comments: