"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Place to Breathe

My sinuses have been playing havoc with me for the last month -- as have many to whom I've spoken recently. All the medication has seemed to have little effect, so I loaded up my trusty Explorer and headed for the sands of Tybee Island last week to see if the salt air might do me a bit of good.

After a quick lunch at Papa's Seafood and Barbecue -- which serves the best shrimp salad this side of the Mississippi (not to mention sweet potato fries) -- I headed for the water. My very special friend, Sally, insisted I use her parent's house for my little afternoon retreat. It could have been worse.

Here's a picture from the water.

And here's one from the balcony.
Not a bad place to clear one's head. Or to doze on a hammock -- which I did off and on all afternoon when I wasn't reading and resting on the swing or in the rocker with my feet propped up on the rail.

Song of Solomon 2:10 puts it beautifully: My lover spoke and said to me, "Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come away."


Yes, indeed. What a wonderful place to "come away" -- and breathe.

Just an ordinary moment...

No comments: