"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Friday, August 7, 2009

A Moment of Reflection

I've been going through some old pictures lately, and whereas it's definitely not the first time I've seen these prints, it is the first time I experienced such a strange feeling. As I was thumbing through the album, it suddenly hit me -- "Hey, that's me. That body, soul, spirit ... personality ... DNA that is in each one of these pictures, is me!" I guess, up until that point, I had not really associated myself with that little girl. And it was the oddest sensation.

But the closer I looked, the more I could see me.

I still love to "preach" to anybody who will listen.

I still love to swing.

I still love to be treated like a lady.
I still have insecurity issues.
I still love Christmas -- and purses.
I still love trying on and finding the perfect shades.

I still love to dance.

I still love celebrating birthdays.
And I most definitely still love playing and worshiping at the piano.
Of course, then these two birds came along ... and that was all she wrote as far as pictures of Chip and me go.
But as I look back as these pictures, and others like them, more than anything, I'm reminded that even as a little girl, Christ was being formed in me. And truthfully, I cannot recall a time when I did not know Jesus nor love Him. And whereas I might not have lived every day to please Him, He has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember. But even more than that, Ephesians tells me that long before God laid down earth's foundation, He had me in mind and that He had settled on me as the focus of His love so that I might be made whole and holy. Long ago, He decided to adopt me into His family and make me His child for no other reason than it was His sheer pleasure to do so. Yes, God had His eye on me from the very beginning and had designs on my life for glorious living -- which fits all within His grand purpose and plan.

But this is not just my story. It's yours as well. He has identified you as His own, and you, too, are the apple of His eye. Because of the sacrifice of Jesus and the blood poured out on the altar of the Cross, we have all been given full redemption as children of God. And by His grace, He has provided in large measure everything we could possibly need to live a life of purpose and bring Him praise and glory.

Take a moment to look back -- and give thanks.

Just an ordinary moment...

1 comment:

Linda said...

I love your Ordinary Moments today. The pictures are so cute and I can remember you so vividly during those precious moments.
Love,
Mrs. Linda