"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

To My Firstborn

Today I celebrate Charles -- born Feb. 10, 1983. He's the one who gave me the name Mom. When the doctor asked 26 years ago, "What's his name?" I proudly responded, "Charles Alexander McLendon." He said, "Do you think he can live up to such a name?" And without a hint of hesitation, I said, "Of course!" And has he ever.

Charles was only 8 1/2 months old when he took his first physical step, but he was just past his 6th birthday when he took his first spiritual step on April 18, 1989 and asked Jesus to come into his heart. From there his faith journey has been one step at the time. In junior high, he announced to me that he felt a call to ministry. And then before we knew it, we were delivering him to his first job as a summer youth intern in Cochran after his first year of college.

Tonight we had the privilege of seeing his and Adrianne's new home in Byron where he begins a new phase of youth ministry in two weeks. God has been nothing short of faithful to them, and tonight I boast in the Lord for just that.

So tonight, Charles, I bless you. May you truly know the joy and peace that comes from following hard after God. May you know the love of Christ and His incredible passion for you. May you know the ministry of the Holy Spirit as He works in and through you to will and work His good pleasure in you. And may you know the fellowship and joy of serving with other believers in complete unity in the Spirit.

I love you so much, my firstborn, and as 3 John 1:4 says, "I have no greater joy than to know my children walk in Truth."

The birthday boy and his beautiful wife enjoying a birthday dinner at The Olive Garden.

Receiving the bill at The Olive Garden -- or is this just normal?


All three of our "treasures." And indeed they are!

1 comment:

Marynan said...

I like that picture of Daddy!