"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Do You Have a Religious Preference?

I was going along just fine answering all the questions the sweet girl behind the computer screen was asking so I could have my pre-op lab work done. My name, my address, my social, and on and on.  No blink from either one of us.  She asked.  I answered. Until ...  

"Do you have a religious preference?"  

I have to admit, the quick response in my head was, "No."  After all, I don't think it really matters if you're United Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian or Church of God.  I've known some might fine Godly people in all those circuits and more.  But I quickly surmised that was not what she was asking.  Which led me to my next dilemma. What IS my religious preference? Well, I enjoy liturgical and contemporary, but I don't think that's what she meant either. Then there's the fact that I spent the first 40+ years in a United Methodist church, so I'm very "Wesleyan" in my doctrine, but I now belong to a non-denominational church yet spend every Sunday morning leading in worship at a Presbyterian church.  

I figured the girl behind the desk really didn't care about all that ... and so I just smile and said, "Christian." (Of course, I couldn't just leave it at that, I had to add Protestant Christian -- as opposed to Catholic.) She just smiled and said, "We've heard it all."  And I bet she has.

I don't know why that whole "religious preference" thing threw me so. If she had only asked if I had a Savior preference, then my answer would have been immediate and sure.  "Yes, Jesus Christ." 

Thank goodness she could just LOOK at me and see what "race" I belong to.

There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 3:28

Just an ordinary moment...

No comments: