"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Monday, June 17, 2013

A Cup Overflowing, 581-600

Whatever happened to the lazy days of summer vacation?  You know, when you take off your shoes and spend the hours of daylight walking barefoot through the green grass or mornings sipping an orange soda at the local pool.  Where evenings are for catching fireflies and putting them in a class mason jar.  Yet our days are more squeezed than ever.  And before we know it, "summer" has flown right by and we've missed it ... again.

In her book One Thousand Gifts, Ann Voskamp writes, "Time is a relentless river.  It rages on, a respecter of no one.  And this, this is the only way to slow time: When I fully enter time's swift current, enter into the current moment with the weight of all my attention, I slow the torrent with the weight of me all here.  I can slow the torrent by being all here.  I only live the full life when I live fully in the moment.  And when I'm always looking for the next glimpse of glory, I slow and enter.  And time slows.  Weigh down this moment in time with attention full, and the whole of time's river slows, slows, slows."

Can't you use a little of that?  Me, too.  Then let's begin "looking for the next glimpse of glory."

#581  a lone widower standing at the mausoleum

#582  an impending storm bearing down and the race to get home

#583  58 years of marriage

58 years later --same swing
#584  a late night cup of tea warming the cold hands

#585  the blue in the sky after a storm

#586  watching another's hand struggle to write a simple word

#587  a quiet Sunday afternoon of lying on the couch with a heated blanket over me and a book in my hands

#588  that God does not treat me as my sin deserves (Ps. 103:10)  Oh, yes...

#589  stopping to listen to Come, Thou Fount  -- 2 violins and piano

#590  for a guardian angel and a little boy who can see him

#591  a momentary breakthrough of sun and the way it colors everything

#592  "Purdy purdy purdy purdy" ... the sound of morning

#593  knowing that after having done everything to make some space for God, it is still He who comes on His own initiative

#594  a day of Easter dress shopping with Marynan and Adrianne

#595  the dove that watches from above as I pray

#596  Palm Sunday sermons and devotionals

#597  breaking "bread" and sipping coffee with old friends -- Lynn and Al

#598  love interchange from my baby girl

#599  patterns of light across a love nest

#600  an early morning tea cup warming my hands; an early morning note from a friend warming my heart

And time slows...




No comments: