"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Cup Overflowing, 501-520

As I look back over the numbering of my first 500 gifts, I can't help but think I'm too simplistic in my list making.  Really, rocks?  Squirrels at play?  Cereal with icy blueberries?  I've wondered if I'm really getting this thing of thankfulness.  Surely there are more important things for which to be thankful.  And there are,  But today I read this in Ann Voskamp's 1000 Gifts:

The miracle of [thanksgiving], like the Last Supper, is in the eating of crumbs, the swallowing down one mouthful.  Do not disdain the small.  The whole of the life -- even the hard -- is made up of the minute parts, and if I miss the infinitesimals, I miss the whole. 

And so I continue to look for the small and ordinary ... and to be thankful -- because I know that the moments add up.

#501  standing in the presence of a Rembrandt painting -- and being surprised by its power

#502  afternoon silhouettes

#503  past and present written across buildings

#504  a stroll at sunset ... across a bridge

#505  being just free enough to line dance at The Wildhorse Saloon

#506  recognizing the dreams 

#507  appreciating the little things

#508  lunching with Annie Downs and stopping by Lifeway to check out her new book
Perfectly Unique

#509  experiencing the Ryman and sensing its spiritual heritage

#510  hotel rooms that become holy of holies

#511  that God exchanges my brokenness for His wholeness

#512  the feel of Music City

#513  lingering morning clouds

#514  a granddaddy reading night-night stories

#515  a day at rest -- on the shore of the Chattahoochee River

#516  breakfast with Cathy ... and my soul being refreshed

#517  worshiping at Riverstone and seeing the Body at work
The elements waiting to be broken open -- powerful imagery!

#518  a son and his wife kneeling together in prayer

#519  peanut butter and jelly noses

#520  the refilling of lakes, rivers, and reservoirs 

Moments.  My cup overflows with them...

No comments: