"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas Eve Communion

As I sat in the Christmas eve communion service this past Saturday evening, I watched people go down the aisle to receive the elements.  There was the older woman pulling an oxygen tank behind her; the man with a debilitating disease who was being carefully monitored by his young wife; a sister-in-law who had managed to leave her ill mother long enough for this moment; and another woman, a friend, who reached out to offer a hug and who herself, within hours, would be the victim of a fatal heart attack.

I'm not sure if it was the brokenness of the body or the love for it that overcame me.

But I wept.

Just an ordinary moment....

No comments: