"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Gift Giving

When I sat down with my list last night, I was feeling pretty smug.  After all, here it was Dec. 3, and except for just a few gift cards, all my Christmas shopping was done.  Three good weeks of just enjoying the season without all the distractions.  And then it hit me: the real gift giving is not to be found coming from the purse at all -- but one that originates and comes from the heart. 

And so my Christmas list grows.

Time ... given to the lonely and hurting.

Tolerance ... when I want to be angry and lash back.

Peace ... during moments of frustration.

Forgiveness ... when evil is done toward me.

Compassion ... for the less privileged.

Gratitude ... for each blessing that comes my way.

Grace ... for every negative comment or attitude.

Somehow I think this list might be the more costly. 

May we all find joy in our gift-giving this season.

Just an ordinary moment...

No comments: