"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A Cup Overflowing, 681-700

A couple of years ago, I came across a writing from the pen of David Sluyter that touched a spot within me.  I copied it down and have gone back to it again and again.  Maybe you might enjoy it, too.


I awoke to the confusion of a new day,

The scraps of dreams, memories of yesterday, and new cravings creeping into awareness,

The sun spilling its light over all but the shadows and a cacophony of sound

From outside and in.

What to make order of? What to let go?

And who makes the choice?

I think I will go down to the river and just watch it flow,

It's been a long time since I have done something really important.


Care to come down to the river with me and watch it flow?  I'll count...

#681  the singers, artists and poets of the world -- and for the way they bring beauty and prepare us for heaven

#682  a student/nephew using his talent for the glory of God

#683  the best blackberry pie I have ever put in my mouth

#684  wild onions ... and the way they smell

#685  kamikaze flights -- baby birds leaving their nest

#686  Thomas the Train sunglasses

#687  "Nemos" galore

#688  one generation to another ... to another

#689  the hunter instinct in every male


#690  "What's that?" asked for the 100th time

#691  a fisherman and his "Fred"

#692  smelly goats

#693  chasing chickens

#694  old barns and simple tire swings

#695  hanging with the big boys -- and becoming one

#696  celebrating Mom and 82 years

#697  sitting on Louis' back porch with the family until after sunset -- I have a feeling Mu and Gra look down from heaven and smile

#698  the best [grand] mother's day card I've ever received: complete with action figure stickers

#699  a tired body and an aching back that says I played hard

#700  celebrating #700 on Mother's Day with a very full heart

Could there be anything more important than slowing down and enjoying the small stuff?  I don't think so.


No comments: