"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Saturday, July 23, 2011

From Where I Sit, There is Happy

Last week I was showing a friend the potato vine I had rooting in a glass bottle that was sitting in my window here in my "garden enclosed." The green vine came out of the lip like it was springing into dance. I told my friend, "It makes me happy."
He then pointed out that I have a Christmas tree in my sunroom.
I told him that indeed I had used it on my front porch at Christmas last year and didn't have a place to store it after the season was over; and so I put it here. And then without thinking, those same words came out of my mouth: "It makes me happy."

Now my husband the forester will tell you that his whole life is geared to that one thing: to make me happy. But since making that statement myself twice within minutes of each other last week, I've been thinking about "happy."

I suspect happy often times gets a bad rap -- especially within the Christian community. For some reason, we think we are to be "joy-filled" and not "happy-filled." After all, "happy" is fleeting and joy is lasting, is it not? At least that's what we're told. But I beg to differ. I believe we're called to be happy Christians! In fact, I think the Scriptures give us license.

In James 5:13 we read, Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. That word happy means to be of good spirits, to be cheerful. In Psalms 68:3, David penned these words: But may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God; may they be happy AND joyful. The very first time we read of "happy" in the Scriptures is in Gen.30:13. And Leah said, "Happy am I! For women have called me happy." So she called his name Asher. Which means HAPPY! Later, in Psalms 84:5, one of sons of Korah used that same word, Asher, though many translators have rendered it "blessed." Blessed [Happy] is the man whose strenth is in You, whose heart is set on pilgrimage. We can be happy on this journey!

Quite frankly, I think we'd give the Christian community a big boost in the world's eye by not only being joyful, but adding a little happy to the mixture as well. Dare we take off our dour faces, put on such dancing shoes and take a hint from a potato vine -- and be happy?

Want you enjoy some of my "happy"? From where I sit each morning in my sunroom...

... a lone leaf waves in adoration
... an old blue bottle speaks revelation
... the morning sun rises on a wooden cross
... a grapevine reminds me of abiding
... a Pentecost candle burns on "ordinary days," begging God to "fill this pause"
... clasped hands remind me to pray for those I love
... wonder of hidden beauty is revealed
... a garden enclosed is my beloved
... portulaca blooms open to the sun
... Eucharist happens
... light rises with healing in its wings
... I commend the squirrels on their ability to reason
... I'm reminded me of His care
... I'm reminded of the sweet fragrance of dear friends
... St. Francis of Assisi calls me to holy living -- and peace
... my favorite devotionals beckon time spent in relationship and awareness
... light penetrates agatized coral
... beams make gold of citrine
... beauty is dispensedYes, from where I sit, there is happy. May I be faithful to take it into the world when I leave.

Just an ordinary moment...

No comments: