"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Monday, February 7, 2011

A Good Soaking

What the meteorologists predicted as a warm and dry winter in the south has proven to be a cold and wet one. In fact, it has been raining cats and dogs here. I even stepped in a poodle last week. (I'm so sorry for that one; it was incredibly corny -- and old! My mouth refrained, but the overload just swept out of my fingers to the keypad!) Anyway, it had been raining -- a lot. But true to their motto, the postal service continues to deliver. The problem lies in retrieving the mail. I wait until the rain has subsided and then I dash to the mailbox. But here's the problem. There's a huge oak tree that stands between me and the box. There won't be a drop falling from the sky, but as soon as I enter into the heavy drapes of those large branches, I might as well be in the next shower. The leaves are holding so much water that they are literally dripping with the latest rain. So I pick up speed to make it the mailbox and then scurry back through the rain forest. But the truth is, on such days I can't pick up the mail without getting a good soaking.

I mentioned in an earlier blog entry that I'm memorizing Scripture this year as one of my spiritual disciplines. To start the new year, I committed Psalm 65:11 to memory. It reads, You crown the year with Your good blessings, and You leave abundance in Your wake. The NIV reads, Your carts overflow with abundance. But today I'm reminded of the NKJV: You crown the year with good blessings, and Your paths drip with abundance. Indeed they do.

And so as funny as it may sound, a trip to the mailbox on these cold and rainy days reminds me of the lavishness of God. That where He trods, His bounty overflows; and that His paths literally drip with abundance.

Sort of makes me look forward to tomorrow's mail truck.

Just an ordinary moment...

No comments: