"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Friday, January 29, 2010

The Kingdom of Heaven is Like ...

It happened again both Tuesday morning and Tuesday evening. After a seemingly long holiday season, the ladies gathered once again for Bible study and for fellowship. There were new faces, and there were old. But one thing never changes. It's what I've come to call "holy chatter." In all the busyness of greeting and handing out books and nametags, there's that moment when all I can do is just stop and listen. And it blesses me every single time. Women catching up with women and just plain loving on each other after a period of separation. As one sweet darling hugged my neck, she even said, "Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!"

But as much as I delight in it, I think God takes even greater pleasure in it. In fact, I bet it's nothing short of common occurrence in the realm of what we call heaven where so many have gone before us -- where there indeed dwells such a great cloud of witnesses. And so I've been thinking about that day when I see my loved ones again after this seemingly long separation. Of what will those first moments of holy chatter be like in the kingdom? Will there be need to tell them what life has been like since they've been gone? Will I be sharing with them the names of my children or maybe even grandchildren and describing their personalities? Will there be tears or laughter -- or both? Will they be catching me up on their activities of the last 50 or so years? (If that's the case, I have a feeling their stories will outweigh mine!) I don't know, but somehow I think that what I experience here on earth on that first day of women's Bible study is just a taste of the joy of the Kingdom to come.

Just an ordinary moment...

1 comment:

Rosanne said...

What wonderful thoughts on ordinary moments! thanks for a great perspective on what many of us have experienced.