"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Monday, October 19, 2009

Warming in the Sun

Wow, was anybody but me glad to see a little sunshine yesterday? I don't know what it's been like in your part of the world, but in mine, it has been rain, rain, and more rain. Even Saturday against all weather-related predictions of sun, it was ... rain. So you can imagine my delight yesterday morning on the way to church when there wasn't a cloud in the sky. And what if it was 40 degrees outside; the sun was out and it gave way to sheer pleasure on my part. Could I see the sun? Of course not. We all know to look at the sun is a dangerous thing. But feel it? You bet. Even amidst the sometimes blustery winds yesterday, I could sense the rays warming my body. And now as I sit here in my "sun room" and write, I can see streams of light coming through the paned glasses lighting up my chamber.

Just as we can no more look directly at the brilliance of the sun and retain our sight, neither can we look upon God and live. His glory is just too magnificent and holy for these earthly and immortal bodies to withstand. But the writer of Hebrews calls Christ the "radiance of God's glory." He was the ray that penetrated the earth's dark atmosphere and enables us to see and know something of the glory and splendor of God. In fact, He is the "express image of [God's] person." He is God's self-disclosure in every way.

So the next time you feel the warmth of the sun or see a ray of light breaking through the clouds, be thankful that God has chosen to make Himself known to you through His Son.

Just an ordinary moment...

No comments: