"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Friday, October 23, 2009

Early Morning Routine

Part of my normal morning routine is reading the obituaries. Actually, I don't really read all of them per se, I just see if there's anybody in there I know. I have often kidded that I turn to this section of the paper first thing because, one, if I find my name in there, I am NOT putting on my exercise shoes, and, two, I AM having a hot Krispey Kreme donut that has just come off the line.

But during this unusual practice, I often find myself saying things like, "Oh, Jesus, have mercy." Or, "Father, each name represents many hurting individuals. Comfort them." And sometimes, "Thank You, Lord, for a life well-lived." But this morning, something a little different happened as I scanned each listing. I think it was because there were some out-of-the-ordinary entries and so I tended to read a little more carefully. There was a well known octogenarian doctor from Macon as well as an unconventional lawyer who died way before her time. There was a middle-aged "caregiver," a school teacher, a nurse, and another who will be remembered in a service in the "Sanctuary of the Church of the Living God Gates of Heaven Full Gospel Ministries" by the "Overseer Apostle." Some listed a host of family members, two listed no one. Some "died," others "passed," one 96 year old "went home to be with her Lord," and one just plain "expired."

Some might say I'm morbid to begin my day with such. But am I really? Do we all not need to be reminded that we are immortal beings; that from ashes we come and to ashes we return? Do we all not need to be cautioned that there is an end to these days as we know it, so make the most of it. Do we all not need to be reminded that one day our names will also appear in bold above a column listing all of our achievements? And do we all not need to know that at the end of these days waits One who will either greet us with a "Well done, good and faithful servant," or a "Be gone for I never knew you." Quite honestly, when we stand before our Maker, it will not be because we had a list of achievements following our name nor because we were related to anybody special. It will be because we have personally put our complete faith and trust in the One and only One who matters. Jesus. Acts 4:12 says it this way, There is salvation in no one else! God has given no other name under heaven by which we must be saved.

I'm not so sure reading the obituaries as a morning routine is quite so bad after all.

Just an ordinary moment...

1 comment:

Thena said...

I do the same thing every morning so don't feel bad. But you take it to a greater depth, which is so awesome. You have compassion for those that are hurting. We go through our daily lives so fast sometimes we forget just how easily it could be our name in an obituary. Have a blessed day.