"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Twitter Bug

Earlier in the year, at the suggestion of a friend who is a prolific reader and writer, I joined Twitter so I might follow his thoughts on matters of interest. You can imagine my son's surprise when after suggesting I get a twitter account so I could "keep up" with him, I told him I had had one for quite some time. It probably shocked him to know that his archaic mother wasn't completely in the dark ages. Of course, I never check my twitter account as it all comes directly onto my facebook page.

But what has been so interesting are all the notifications I've received from people "following" me. People I don't know. People who don't know me! I received another one just moments ago. And before I get all puffed up about it, this fellow is also following some 487 other poor souls as well. What's up with all of this? I've never "twittered" the first thought! So what are they "following," for crying out loud? It's a little silly if you ask me.

It's also a little scary, because in a way, I think it speaks loudly of our society. We blindly follow that which we do not know as well as that which is going nowhere: the most recent fad; the loudest voice; the newest "prophet." But the truth is that there is one Person and one Person only whom we should follow. His name is Jesus. In fact, He demands it. No less that 18 times in the four gospels do we hear Him say, "Follow ME." And within that context, and that context alone, we are to follow after those things which make for peace and that which is good. We are to follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, and meekness. We are to follow in His steps. The question might even be asked, "Would Jesus tweet?" Somehow I think He would. The name "Christian" ("little Christ") was given to believers in Antioch (Acts 11:26) because people saw in them the Christ they followed.

But 2 Timothy 4:3-5a speaks a strong word of warning to all this "following." Paul writes, For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to right teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever they want to hear. They will reject the truth and follow strange myths. But you, keep your head...

Sounds like a good rule to "follow," does it not?

Just an ordinary moment...

1 comment:

mom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.