"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Saturday, September 6, 2008

His!

Have you ever had one of those mornings when you just couldn’t get out of bed? Where the covers felt better than the floor? I had one Thursday. Actually, I had gotten up at 5:30 to prepare my husband’s coffee and cereal and get him out the door to work. Upon his leaving, I gathered my Bible and study paraphernalia and climbed back up in bed with propped pillows. It didn’t last too long, and before I knew it, I was sunk down in the covers, begging for more sleep. I knew I had a 9:00 appointment, but there was not a thing in me that could make me pull my feet out from under those covers and swing them to the floor. And so I begged, “God, help me!” And, a moment later, another “God, give me strength.” About that time, I received a text message from a sweet sister that simply read, “I pray that u have a blessed day! I love u!” And then a moment later, “If u haven’t been outside yet go check out the cool fall air God has blessed us with!” At that point, I received it as a word from the Lord to get up and go. And so I picked up my coffee and my Oswald Chamber’s Utmost and headed to the deck just outside my bedroom door.

For a moment, I just sat. Indeed, it was gloriously cool. But the incredible thing was how the morning sun was peeking through the water oak, but in such a way that its rays hit me broadly and full. It seemed I couldn’t move – that somehow God was wrapping me in His love. Then suddenly I became aware of the sounds of nature. And the only natural response was to worship. And so that’s what I did. Only after time spent basking in such wonderful light and love did I open my devotional book and see the title of the day’s reading: “His!” His! He just wanted to wrap me in His arms that morning and tell me that I am His! What better way than to wake up in the arms of your Lover.

And to think I almost missed it simply because I was too comfortable.

2 comments:

He gave me running said...

I praise God for your ear hearing His call. He was speaking to you and you heard Him and He met you right where He had planned all along. I heard a phrase tonight at Freedom Fest that Pastor Johnny Hunt shared, "It doesn't matter who you run from, it matters who you run to". Keep on runnin' girl! (or crawling out of bed on your hands and knees beggin' for strength all the way - you're future is ahead of you!)

Anonymous said...

That sweet sister of yours makes my life on earth complete. I thank God for using her to motivate me. We are His. We are nothing without Him. I thank him for his beautiful creation, and the changing of the seasons, both in nature and in life.