"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Two are better than one

Sometimes it seems that ordinary moments are just that. Ordinary. So I've been struggling to find something to pen. Actually, I've been struggling period because life has seemed hard lately. Discouragement, insecurity, loneliness. So tonight, as I've thought about God moments, I've thought about people who have encouraged me over the last week.

The first is my pastor who's not afraid to speak boldness over me when I'm ready to throw in the towel. He not only prays for me and blesses me, but he's quick to encourage me not to let the enemy put his one finger on one issue and destroy the work God is doing in all the other areas of my life. Thank you, friend.

The second is a mentor who allows me to regurgitate on her on a regular basis -- and then tells me she enjoys it. What I give to this relationship, I have no clue. But she continues to welcome me into her life and offers me a safe place. And I am so grateful. Thank you, friend.

And lastly, the Lord has brought such a special friend my way who prays for me fiercely and who is not afraid to tell me like it is. Her prayers usually begin, "Here we go again, Lord," for I'm constantly sharing my own insecurities with her. I can count on her to take it straight to the throne room of heaven. Thank you, friend.

Surely, the writer of Ecclesiastes was right when he said, "Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up. ... And a threefold cord is not quickly broken" (4:9-10, 12b). It's not just the companion -- as wonderful as all of these are for me. It's that third cord -- Christ Himself who binds us together. But it is their hearts, their hands, and their mouths through whom He works. Maybe He knows that sometimes one just needs a little flesh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

READ YOUR BLOG TODAY—I WILL LIFT YOU UP TO JESUS!! LOVE

PATTI

Anonymous said...

Blessings come to both the mentee and the mentor. God is so GOOD!