"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Picking Blueberries

My blueberry bushes are awash with fruit right now, and each day's labor brings in its bounty. My harvesting efforts call to mind a favorite portion of poem, and this morning, having just returned from my "garden," I thought I'd share it with you. It's an excerpt from Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Aurora Leigh:

"Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
But only he who sees, takes off his shoes,
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries..."
Think on that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LIKE TO TAKE OF MY SHOES WHEN I AM WORSHIPPING THE LORD IN CHURCH AND ESPECIALLY IF I GO TO THE ALTAR TO PRAY--I LIKE STANDING ON HOLY GROUND! BY THE WAY--DID YOU PICK YOUR BLUEBERRIES BAREFOOTED ON HOLY GROUND?? :):):)

LittleGirl said...

I don't appreciate you using the a word...