"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Walking the Dog

This morning when I donned my gym shorts, tee shirt and running shoes (and I use that term "running" VERY loosely), I had all intentions of going to Anytime Fitness and getting my exercise via the treadmill. But when I stepped outside, I noticed that the storm to the south of us had brought not only some cloud cover but an unusually nice Autumn breeze. And so instead of grabbing my keys, at my husband's suggestion, I grabbed the leash and hooked it on my dog's collar. Rusti is our red heeler, and bless her heart, in worse shape than her mistress, so I thought the walk might do her good. And, oh, was she ever excited. In fact, it was everything I could do not to step on or fall over her as she bounced around my feet and in my path. And the whole time she was dancing, she was looking me in the eye and grinning .. as if to be saying, "I"m so excited! Am I doing okay? YES, I'm sooooo excited! Am I doing okay? Can you tell I'm excited? Are you sure I'm doing okay?" What can I say? My dog has some "people-pleasing" issues. I finally had to shorten the leash and pull her to my side and MAKE her walk beside me instead of dance in front of and under my feet. 

Before long, the sweet little red head had figured out who she was, a heeler, and she began doing just that, heeling on my left side. And for the first time, the walk became pleasant. Oh, every now and again when I would loosen the leash, she would step in it somehow and get a little caught up. But I would just bend down and gently untangle her mess and on our way we'd be again. By the time we arrived back at the house, our stride was one and we had accomplished not one, but two laps around the neighborhood.

It really didn't take me long to see the correlation. How often in my excitement to please God do I, too, get "under His feet" and "in His way" until He has to shorten my leash to bring me into stride? It is only then that I come into my true self, the person He created me to be, and my walk ... my life ... becomes more in tune with His. Yes, I still get myself into trouble at times, but rather than taking a stick and beating me, He gently bends down and unravels the mess and sets me free so we can continue to walk this journey together.

It's really quite simple. Sort of like walking the dog.

Just an ordinary moment...

No comments: