"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Morning Rituals

We all have them.  That sequence of events we do upon climbing out of bed each new day after a night of sleep.  Whether we rise early or late, with or without an alarm, I would venture to say that most of us go through the same repetitious actions morning after morning.  We likely even call it our morning routine.

Mine is exactly that.  Routine.  I wake early to the sound of "beep beep beep" that only grows louder the longer I wait to roll over and turn it off.  Making my way to the vanity, I slowly open the door as not to wake my husband from the creak of the hinges.  And to the light of the 15 watt night light, I brush my teeth then grab a new wash cloth and wash the "sleepy" from my eyes.  I take my prescribed medication and proceed to putting my contacts in: the left one first, and then the right, emptying the soaking solution when I'm finished. I don a head band and this time wash my face with facial soap; dry it, and apply some toner before taking off the headband and placing it back in the drawer. I grab my watch, place it on my wrist and then turn to the metal calendar hanging on the wall.  Moving the magnetic pieces to the new day, I bow my head at my personal "wall" and pray softly -- and slowly ... for myself and for my family:

Lord God, Almighty and everlasting Father, You have brought us in safety to this new day.  Preserve us by Thy mighty power that we may not fall into sin or be overcome with adversity.  And in all we do, direct us to the fulfilling of Thy purpose, through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.  
(Adapted from Phyllis Tickle's The Divine Hours)


My morning ritual.  It seems the most solid thing I do all day.

Just an ordinary moment...

No comments: