"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Year Later and Still Smitten

It was exactly one year ago tonight that I got the call.  I was at a girl's movie night at my church but had left my phone on low "just in case." 

"Hey, Mom.  Just wanted to let you know we're at the hospital.  Kristin's in labor."

I still haven't seen the end of that movie.  I was out the door with few goodbyes and on the way home to pick up my toothbrush ... and my husband, of course -- who was unaware that we were actually suppose to get in the truck and go right then.  He thought you were suppose to wait until the baby was born (and until the sun rose) and THEN go to the hospital. 

Oh, but we got there.  And the wait wasn't too long. 

Up until this point, we didn't even have a clue as to the sex, much less the name.  And so as our son walked out, the anticipation of all those months of waiting finally came to fruition.  "The baby's name is..."

"Jude Robert"

I was a grandmother.  And I was smitten.

Numbers of people, grandmothers and grandfathers themselves, had told me there was nothing like being a grandparent.  Each time I would shrug it off thinking to myself, "I've had children.  I know what it's like."  Well, I'm here to say today, "There ain't NOTHING like being a grandmother."

The very first time holding my grandson.
From the first time I held that small bundle in my arms to this very moment, my heart has pounded with love.  And I'll be the first one to admit that I'm just plum silly over the little fellow ... if not downright obnoxious.  But it's my grandbaby.  It's my prerogative.  It's my right, for crying out loud.  And I have a feeling if there is any grandparent reading this, he or she attests to the same privilege.  We're all a bunch of smitten idiots!

So what does a smitten grandmother do?

She rocks.

She goes on hayrides.

She plays.  (#1 grandmother job!)

She feeds.
She rocks some more.
She sings and dances.

She gives baths.

She drops everything for impromptu visits.

She smiles a whole lot.
She babysits.
She gets lots of sugar.
 
She goes to the fair.


She always keeps a camera ready.

She picks pumpkins.
And did I say LOTS of sugar!
Yep, they were right.  There's nothing like being a grandmother.  And a year later, I can still say I'm more smitten than ever. 


Happy 1st birthday, Jude Robert!
You are GREATLY loved!!!

Your Geezer and G-Nan bless you in the mighty name of  our Lord Jesus Christ.

Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of His glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever.  Amen.  Jude 24-25

Just an ordinary moment...

No comments: