"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Monday, June 14, 2010

Seasons of Refreshing

I have a friend who for as long as I have known him has enjoyed jogging. Me? There's just a little too much tissue on my bones for me to glide gracefully down the street while pounding the pavement. But walking, now that's a pretty sport. Unless, of course, it's 90 degrees outside -- such as today, and sweat is literally pouring off one's being. But after an earlier blog entry, I decided once I put on my shoes, I'd best head out the door. And I did.

The first stint around the block was actually quite enjoyable. On the first leg, I caught up with 3 older adults out taking a morning stroll -- though it was way too hot for them to be doing so. Approaching from the rear, one reminded me so much of my grandfather: same shape, wearing a long sleeve shirt, a hat, and carrying a cane. It was so refreshing to slow my pace for a moment and chat until we came to the place where I was to turn off in another direction.

It didn't take long for the heat to become pretty nasty and I began wondering if I had done the right thing by not bringing my bottle of water. But not to give up, I rounded the corner for a second lap. That's when I saw it. Water! Yes, one of the neighbors had turned on his sprinkler system since I had passed the first time! My mind went back to my runner friend who use to tell me that in order to cool off he would sometimes run through sprinklers as people watered their lawns. Fortunately, the system was right at the curb and I didn't really have to get off my track. I just stopped, bent down, and bathed in the thing right from where it came out of the ground! I finished the job by washing my face and neck! Oh, the refreshment of it all!!! When I stepped back in the street, it was as if I had just stopped for a cold lemonade. My pores were surely screaming, "Yes! Yes! Yes!" And my pace quickened.

As I rounded the next corner, I saw where another had turned on their sprinkler. This time it was more of a fine mist, but it was also off the beaten path. It was tucked up close to their house. So I swallowed my pride. I left the road, strode up to the flower bed and just stood in the mist with my arms outstretched as I turned circles. How rejuvenating!!!

When I left this yard, I couldn't help but to begin to praise God for the refreshing moments and seasons He brings into my life. Yes, sometimes they are no more than just some friends who come along beside who offer companionship and camaraderie. Others moments are merely things that He places directly in my path that offer encouragement, such as the bird's feather I found in the yard yesterday. But other times, He allows us to step aside for periods of rejuvenation and restoration before putting us back on the course.

And I'm so grateful for all of them, for it is in these periods that we find the journey bearable. It is in these seasons when we are given more strength and greater endurance to finish the course. And it is in these spaces when rest happens and our thirst is quenched.

Thank You, Father, for refreshing moments such as these.

And there shall be seasons of refreshing from the presence of the Lord (Acts 3:19).

Just an ordinary moment...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Nancy. The slowing down and reflecting was not only refreshing but remindfull that occasionally we all should be still and listen for His word.

Carol said...

Nancy, How refreshing! Thanks for sharing this.