"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Morning Walk

I went for my normal walk this morning, but before doing so, I was prompted to find our Homeowners list of residents and take it with me. So I donned my appropriate attire, which consisted of tank top, Columbia shorts, high-price walking shoes bought at a discount center and my sunglasses in hopes that no one in the neighborhood would recognize me. Oh, and yes, the homeowners list, and out the door I went.

Having lived here for almost 10 years now, one would think I would know all the residents. But people come and go, and let's me honest, do any of us truly know our neighbors anymore? We're too "hurried." But knowing people live "in" my neighborhood is different from knowing "where" they live, and so I thought I would put a place with a face. Unknowing to me, God's plan was a little more in depth.

As I rounded the first corner and looked up the name, I felt a need to pray for the single woman who lived there. I quickly made it to the second house and found the name of a lady who had shared Bible study with me several years ago until she developed cancer. Then came the home of a couple with a wayward daughter. The list continued. Another single mother. A home in foreclosure. A couple who both have lost their jobs. A wheelchair bound wife. A young couple just beginning their life together. A child with a handicap. A home that lost a child. And within a very short block, there were no less than five widows. My walk continued as did the list.

The author John Eldredge writes on prayer saying that it's not just our talking to God, but more importantly, listening to God and then responding to that word. He has learned that when he prays for someone, he begins by asking God, "What do You want me to pray for this person?" And then John spends time listening for that word. So as I began passing each home, I asked, "What do you want me to pray for this home?" And it was amazing.

"An added measure of faith for this one."
"Healing."
"Revelation and wisdom here."
"Adventure."
"Peace."
"Unity."
"Reconciliation."
And on a number of occasions it was just a word of praise.

But the list went on and on until my path brought me back to my own door. What had begun as a time of physical exercise and enjoyment of this beautiful weather had turned into a spiritual journey on prayer and a real connection with my neighbors.

It was really no surprise when I remembered the name of Eldredge's book. Walking With God.

Just an ordinary moment...

No comments: