"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Press and Seal

I had gathered everything I thought I needed at Sam’s: the cups and plates for the reception, the fresh chicken tenders, the twice-baked potatoes, and a huge block of cheese, and was on my way to check out when I remembered the forks. I had to get forks for the wedding cake. So I turned the buggy around and headed back. When I got to the aisle and located the utensils, there was an elderly black lady sitting in her mobile chair looking upward. So I asked, “Is there something I might reach for you?”

With huge gratitude she responded, “Yes, yes there is. I need that box of Press and Seal.” I turned around and reached for it, and when I did, I heard her say, “God is so good.”

Handing her the box, I replied, “Oh, indeed He is. Is there anything else I can help you with?”

“No. God is just so good. God bless you. God bless you.”

By this time I had moved around to her rear, but not wanting to miss a blessing, I shifted to where I could look her in the face. “God bless you, too.” And for a moment we shared the goodness of God. I ended with, “Let’s pass it on.”

It’s Election Day, and you know, this precious lady and I probably didn’t share the same choice in candidates. But it really didn’t matter. Our common denominator was Jesus. And He was and is enough.

No comments: