"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Friday, October 3, 2008

In the Beginning

When asked what my favorite book of the Bible is, I usually respond with whichever one I’m reading or studying at the time. However, I do have a few that make the list of choice favorites. For example, I truly love the book of Esther. I have taught it on a number of occasions, and with each teaching, it becomes richer and more meaningful to me. Of the Gospels, I think I'm partial to the one written by the disciple Jesus loved: John. And lately, having just taught a large portion of Romans, it just doesn’t get any better than that one. In fact, if we could keep only one book of the entire 66, I think that's the one it should be, for Paul really sums it up for us. But definitely among my top favorites is the very first book – Genesis.

I love Genesis. After four days of pretty strenuous reading this week, I concluded the book yesterday and it was just as fascinating and spell binding to me as any other time I’ve read it. I rarely finish the book and not find myself in tears; it just invokes such emotion in me.

Genesis is about conception. After 11 chapters of establishing some basic elements of creation, salvation, and judgment, God conceives a people. He begins with a single yet willing individual, Abraham, and out of that one, the embryonic people of God begin to grow in the womb. And over time, that embryo develops and begins taking shape, birthing a nation through whom God can and will reveal Himself.

I never cease to be amazed at the individuals God chose for such a responsibility. The people are real. The sin is prolific. The heartaches are many. But God is faithful to His covenant and the presence of life is kicking and robust.

Actually, not a whole lot has changed in 4000 years. Maybe that’s why I cry so profusely when I reach the end of the book.

Have you got a favorite?

No comments: