"What He ordains for us each moment is what is most holy, best, and most divine for us." Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Beaten Path

My husband and I took a little day trip a couple of weeks ago to Providence Canyon -- also known as the Little Grand Canyon here in Georgia. It's really quite a fascinating place, especially if you've never had the opportunity to see the real mama of all canyons out in Arizona, which I have not. I'm not sure a 100 degree Saturday is the time to go, but nevertheless, we did, and we enjoyed it. I also didn't realize a lot of walking might be the order of the day, so I didn't actually dress for a trek. But whereas it kept us from actually hiking to the bottom of the canyon, it didn't keep us from some serious sight seeing from the lookout decks situated around the park.

Even with the trees and shrubbery in full season, we were able to grasp the beauty of the rock formations and the powerful landscaping. I can't tell you if a proterozoic or paleozoic strata was evident, but I can tell you the soft canyon soil was beautiful. And whereas The Grand Canyon supposedly took 6 millions years to form, the massive gullies at Providence Canyon were caused by erosion due to poor farming practices in the 1800's.

But this is what really caught my attention. To the undiscerning eye, it's just a trail going around the bend. But on closer observation, one notices that it's a trail dropping off onto the canyon floor below. You see, the canyon continues to expand, and what use to be a safe passage is now almost certain death. What at one time was the beaten path is now a leap to destruction.

God says that His Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path (Psalm 119:105), and that as He directs me in that path of His commands, I will find delight (Psalm 119:35). And as I see it, any other way is just a step off into a pit.

Just an ordinary moment...

No comments: